Friday, December 2, 2016

One Little Wire


So there I was, searching for a little wire latch I had crafted for the suet feeder.  Since it is my favourite spot to feed our wild birds, a lament escaped from my lips!  "Oh, if only I could find you, in the middle of all this dead brown grass.  Why did I drop you?  What if I can't find you?  I can't believe I will have to go and get another piece of wire; you were such a perfect fit!"

And then I thought of Jonah - lamenting over the death of the plant that had protected him from the scorching heat.  Jonah, the prophet who tried to run away from God, got swallowed by a giant fish, was vomited by said fish onto dry land and finally obeyed God by preaching to the people of the city of Nineveh; a city of unbelievers, full of great violence and wickedness.

(Jonah 4:9-11)   "Then God said to Jonah, 'Do you have good reason to be angry about the plant?'  And he said: 'I have good reason to be angry, even to death.'  
Then the Lord said:
 'You had compassion on the plant for which you did not work, and which you did not cause to grow, which came up overnight and perished overnight.  And should I not have compassion on Nineveh, the great city in which  there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know the difference between their right and left hand, as well as many animals?'

My lament was cut short, as I realized I was willing to moan about the loss of a wire but unwilling to weep over the spiritual needs of people.  I was willing to waste my time on a little piece of metal and was oh, so justified, in being distressed about it; but unwilling to spend precious time with my God, praying for the lost souls I meet every day.  And it would seem that God was appealing to Jonah even on behalf of the animals that lived in that great city.  As if to say, "Can't you even show pity for at least the animals?'

Jonah had also said: "I knew that You were a gracious and compassionate God, 
slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness..." (Jonah 4:2)


Like Jonah, I can know so much about God, but not always reflect His character.  My prayer:
'Lord, have mercy on me and let me see people as you do!'  

I did manage to find another piece of wire. 
The birds are delighted, and I was taught  a valuable lesson.



No comments:

Post a Comment