Monday, December 12, 2016

Communication is Key




Have you ever tried to learn a new language?  It is so fascinating and by times, frustrating.  Teaching ESL (English as a Second Language) classes was such a joy for me.  I loved engaging with people from, literally, all over the world.  So often, as people learned, I could see a pattern.  A few lessons in, they started to understand basic phrases, and then short sentences.  Once we moved on to longer phrases, many students would hear the beginning and the end, but would not catch the middle. 

So, you can imagine the funny responses to a question such as: “What did you have for dessert, once your dinner was finished?”  A response: “I finished my homework!”  Or, “I had apple pie dessert; all finished.”  Another interesting pattern was how common expressions, such as: “You’re pulling my leg,” could be rephrased.  One student came to class and stated:” You are pulling my ankle!”  We laughed a lot, we cried some, and to their credit, these students learned a lot.  They truly longed to communicate; to speak of their families and homeland and challenges and joys.  And I, I would love to have been able to talk with them in their native tongue.  Memorable lessons, and much time and energy was spent in the learning.

In his sermon this past Sunday, our pastor shared with us that people all over the world are wanting to know who God is; how can we know Him; where can we find Him; how can we communicate with Him?  I thought of the lovely Christmas carol: “Joy to the world, the Lord is come!”  To my great joy, I have discovered that God already speaks my language! Thankfully, I didn’t need to go to any classes to begin a relationship with Him, to communicate with Him.  
  
There are three ways in which He has made Himself known, this God who wishes to be known: through Creation, through the Living Word, and through the Written Word:
Ø  He speaks in Creation – “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.” (Romans 1:20)
Ø  He speaks FOR me – in the Living Word, in the person of His Son, Jesus Christ, the one whom the apostle John calls: “The Word of Life” (Gospel of John 1: 1 and in his 1st epistle: 1 John 1:1). He speaks as My Advocate, (1 John 2:1).
Ø  He speaks TO me – in the Written Word, the Bible, to assure me of eternal life, (1 John 5:13); to teach me all I need for life and godliness, (2Peter 1:3)
And finally, wonderfully, He speaks WITH me – in the conversation of prayer (1 John 3:21,22,23; 1 John 5:14,15). 
God really is the absolute best communicator, ever.  
 And He speaks my language; your language.  
  
 He speaks Truth.  He speaks Love. 
He offers to us the Key of Life- found in Jesus Christ.
 Jesus Christ, who is the express image of God.
Jesus Christ, who said to Philip: 
If you have seen me, you have seen the Father.” (John 14:9)

He is true to His character - you can take Him at His word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment