Saturday, January 19, 2019

All Things Hold Together



One of the more difficult days of my life today; and I have had some difficult ones, as I am sure is true for everyone.  I have often sat beside people whose loved one is very ill or in great pain.  Today it was my turn, as I sat beside Mom.  A fracture of her upper right arm has caused her much agony and my heart broke as I sat beside her, prayed aloud for her and sang.  Because her hearing aid is being repaired, she could not hear very much.

But my heavenly Father could hear everything I said and prayed and sang.  A heart full of lament; comforted by a heavenly Father who understands what great pain is all about.  Tears came; co-workers comforted.  Mom eventually slept.  And tomorrow, my God will still be there.

Studying Colossians has reminded me that Christ is enough for every day, every broken heart, every sorrow and, indeed, every joy.  Try as I might to replace Him with someone or something; He is enough.  There is no philosophy, no tradition, no angel, no power that can compare to Him.

“And He is the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation. 
For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, 
visible and invisible,
whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-
all things have been created by Him and for Him. 
And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together” (Colossians 1:16).

 It is ever so tempting to rail against God, to blame Him for the ugly moments of life; to run to the den of despair and look for answers outside of Him.  But He is enough.  

Hebrews 4:15,16
Since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, 
Jesus the Son of God,
let us hold fast to our confession. 
For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses
 but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.
Let us therefore draw near with confidence to the throne of grace,
that we may receive mercy and may find grace to help in time of need.”



I am so thankful that the mercies of Christ are enough for me, for Mom, and for anyone who puts their trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment