Sunday, July 9, 2017

Threads of Gold~ Part 4

Threads of Gold
~ Francine Chiasson ~

“Forget-me-nots”

After a year of waiting, my mom has moved into a home for special care - The Home.  It’s quite surreal, not having breakfast together; an inversion of the empty nest syndrome.  Stopping in to see her the next day, we brought family photos.  “I’ve never seen that picture before,” she exclaimed, as we put up a familiar wedding photo of her and dad.  “And who owns all those lovely clothes?”  My heart was both warmed and saddened, delighting in her new discovery of the old, but chagrined at the loss of memory. 

I was reminded that, like me and like you, my mom is precious in the sight of God, no matter what age, health condition, or circumstance.  In Matthew 10:29-31, Jesus said: “Are not two sparrows sold for a cent?  And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But the very hairs on your head are all numbered, therefore do not fear; you are of more value than many sparrows.”  Our inherent value, being made in the image of God, means everyone deserves a visit.  But how to go about doing so?

What not to ask:
(1)   “How are you?”  Some people will feel trapped, others will not comprehend, and still others will be fine with this.  I’d start with: “Hi.  I am so glad to see you.” 
(2)   “You remember me, don’t you?”  Some will remember, others will be confused.   Rather, you could say: “Good morning, (say their name).  It’s Francine.”   

These seem like simple suggestions, but I like the K.I.S.S. method: “Keep It Simple, S’il vous Plaît.”  I showed mom the dandelions growing in the courtyard, knowing that she considers them as public enemy number one.  Her simple solution: “Off with their heads!”  Is she ever going to have a field day!  Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment