Monday, June 26, 2017

Threads of Gold
~ Part 2 ~

In part two of this series, we are embarking on the journey of a lifetime of golden threads, woven by those who live in The Home.  So, why don’t we visit?  Some of our answers:
What do I say/bring/do?  I’ll have to help someone to the washroom.  They are always sleeping.  They can’t speak. Too busy.  Too heart-breaking.  Too scared. 

Without denying the reality of some of our fears, we complicate way too much.  Many years ago, straddling the trusses of the roof of our new barn, my grandfather taught me a timeless lesson: “Keep your eyes on the nail, not on the hammer.”  Visiting The Home is like that; keep focused on what’s most important, the person right in front of you.  Having been on several mission trips to three different countries, I was often asked: “Why not just send money?”  By personally bringing the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ, we showed a deep love for them: “Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land,” (Proverbs 25:25). 

On a recent visit to The Home, my Mom sat amongst the residents, as our church sang.  She told me: “Some people might think I actually live there!”  With a girlish, 93-year-old giggle she continued: “It’s good to come; who knows, one is never too old to meet a special someone.”  I’d say that’s the best reason for visiting I have ever heard.

Do you remember visiting your neighbour?  A cup of tea would be on the table, a pitcher of molasses at hand, with which to smother a freshly-baked buttered biscuit.  Can you taste it?  Can you remember some of the conversations?  This time ‘round, it would be us, bringing a Tim’s double-double to visit someone at The Home.  Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment