Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Muffin Tins


Looking at this picture of our cat, Angel, I am reminded that my real rest is found in Christ. How is it that I can fret and worry and storm about? Today, I went looking for our muffin tins-the ones I always put in the same place; the very same ones that I used a week ago. They were nowhere to be found; not in any cupboard. My goodness, I even checked in the most unusual of places- like in Mom’s bedroom and downstairs in the basement, (in case I had popped them down there to make more space for other things). I searched high and low; and then looked in the same places again, because I know myself well enough- I am not always very thorough when it comes to looking for things.
Still no muffin tins. So, I asked Mom to do a search- in case I had just missed them, you know.
Mom says: “Now, if you didn’t find them, what makes you think I could find them?”
I say: “Just in case, Mom!”

So she looks in the cupboards and moves a few things around, (much like I did), and says:
“Well, I can’t see them.”

I go back to that same cupboard to look for a pan, and I spot them: those well-hidden, lovely-looking muffin tins. Oh my! All it took was a little more shuffling about of the other objects in that cupboard. Can I say that I felt foolish? I did!

How much time I wasted thinking and wondering and even searching for them; and they were right in front of me. How often do I fret instead of freely ask the Lord? How often do I worry instead of whisper the name of my God, in a prayer of praise and in a prayer for help? How often do I storm about, perhaps even pouting, when I could be storming the gates of heaven where mercy is great and grace is free? In the end, I didn’t have time to make my carrot muffins; chocolate chip cookies took their place. But I did have time to ask the Lord for a right attitude and a quiet spirit.


Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him.
Psalm 62:5

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes I'm good at storming, spinning, griping, and I'm good at praying, too, when I stop the other stuff. Lord have mercy on us as we find our way back into your loving embrace!

    ReplyDelete