Saturday, January 11, 2014

An Old Shed



We need a new shed.  The old one is sitting on a few cement blocks; the roof has more leaks than wood and the squirrels have enlarged a hole in one wall- where the door handle managed to create a dent and now it is their special entryway.  I’d like to put on a new roof, but I know it will need a better foundation.  Not much point in fixing the roof if the building is going to fall down around my ears.  I’m determined to get it right when the spring weather arrives- a new foundation, upon which to build a new shed.  I’m hoping it will be my own parable – to spur me on to strengthen the foundation upon which I stand, in Jesus Christ. 

Paul speaks about the people of God as those who are
“members of God’s household, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets,
with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.”
 (Ephesians 2: 19, 20)
Paul cements 3 essential components of a trustworthy, solid foundation for our lives:
the Old Testament prophets,
the New Testament apostles
and Jesus- the cornerstone.


As I anticipate the coming of spring, I have all winter to cohere these same elements into my life; a head-start on a deeper foundation.  Through fellowship with the people of God, studying the scriptures and prayer, I have every resource at my disposal.  Here’s hoping that foundation will be deeper and stronger; and here’s hoping the new shed will stand for many a year to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment