Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Hope to be Shared




The Humboldt Broncos will never be the same. I don't personally know the young hockey players, their coaches, or the bus driver- the fifteen men who lost their lives in the crash. I don't know the other team members who survived this horrific accident. But, I sorrow with them. Death is such a thief, and this loss goes deep. I am convinced, consoled and comforted by the reality that Christ, Immanuel-God with us- not only understands our sorrows but walks with us through it.
No, I cannot completely explain why such a tragic event as the death of these 15 men from western Canada would have happened, but I can look to God for solace and I can pray to the One who died and rose again. I can pray, not only for the families, but for the entire nation of Canada that has embraced this tragedy as one affecting us all.

Without the presence of "Christ in you, the hope of glory"(Colossians 1:27), I would only have myself to rely on and I am certain that I need a God who understands sorrow and death. God knows what it is like to "lose a son," and I am grateful that I can speak to Him, knowing He understands.

I have been especially moved by the pictures of hockey sticks- on doorsteps, patios and decks, and at the Canadian Army Base in Iraq. Such a simple gesture, but fraught with meaning.

May we hold our families closer. May each of their family members find comfort in this deepest and darkest of valleys.  May the words of the team Chaplain touch the hearts of all those directly impacted- his words were of Christ, of the Shepherd who walks with us:  

 https://globalnews.ca/news/4132117/valley-of-darkness-humboldt-broncos-crash-sean-brandow/

Praying.

No comments:

Post a Comment