Thursday, February 5, 2015

A Bridge

A wintry trail cuts through the forest near our home. Being transformed from rails to trails, it is a lovely place to go for a walk.  The path is often crisscrossed by rabbit tracks and even a bear’s paws can sometimes be seen imprinted in the snow.  Walking along, I come across a simple bridge that takes me across a partially-frozen creek.  Funny, though, how I had never really considered it before; until today. 

Today it beckoned to me, as if to say: “Keep tracking. Don’t give up.  I’m strong enough to carry you.  Trust me.  There is so much more to see, just around the bend.”

And I thought of the cross, the place where Jesus hung between earth and sky.  He is the bridge for my soul that takes me across the frozen tundra of my sin, hedging me into himself so I don’t lose my footing.  He will never let me go.  I can take him at his word:   “God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His son, Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 1:9)

And there is so much more to see, just around the bend.

No comments:

Post a Comment