Monday, September 16, 2013

Sweet Fruit

But the fruit of the Spirit is 
love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control
(Galatians 5:22)
Fruit- harvest, tasty, useful, lovely, ripe, mature
Spirit- Holy, God
Is- singular, present tense

It is not too much to ask for - the demonstration of this fruit.  This fruit of the Spirit.  This fruit that is written into the life of a Christian with the imprimatur of God.  This fruit that is most vividly understood in relationship.  This fruit that is so characteristic of God Himself.

“He who believes in me, as the Scripture said: “From his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water.  But He spoke of the Spirit…”(John 7:38, 39a)

When I meet someone who is loving, I am bound to find there- in them- joy, peace, patience… it’s really a package deal.  How humbling and yet how encouraging.  God wants to bear fruit in our lives; in my life.  It is, after all, His fruit.  Not much room for sour-faced, red-angry, belligerent character.  No room for arrogance. Or pride.  Or jealousy.  Plenty of room for growth and maturity.

As the hymn-writer says:
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me.
Spirit of the Living God, fall fresh on me.
Melt me.  Mold me.  Fill me.  Use me.
Spirit of the Living God.
Fall fresh on me.
I have to ask myself- is the fruit I am bearing tasty, ripe, mature, lovely, useful?  Will the people I relate to tomorrow be able to see Christ in me?
Because it's Him, it's possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment